In the last few months I have reduced my working hours at the pharmacy, a decision which we came to when my husband was spending more time at home with our daughter, when he could have been working and earning more money for the same amount of hours I worked. I didn’t mind at all because I was yearning for more time spent with the family and to get organized at home. Although we used to split most of the chores, as a Mum I seemed to have most of the burden of family thoughts and planning so I definitely needed the extra hours at home. There are still 2 days a week, though, when I work late, and by the time I get home I am tired or exhausted, and the last thing on my mind is cooking. Usually we eat leftovers or prepped meals or something out of the freezer, but today I had nothing planned.
So this quiche was inspired by opening the fridge and emptying half its contents onto the counter-top to see what I could do with them, preferably something quick with minimal cooking effort. Usually, when trying out a new recipe, the obsessive perfectionist me would do an online search, print different recipes, find the best one, go buy ingredients, weigh them, etc. But today I was literally dumping stuff and just cooking on instinct, which felt quite liberating actually.
Seeing the ready-made pastry in the fridge is what set off the idea. So then it was just a matter of combining some ingredients that I knew wouldn’t survive for much longer in the fridge, namely the broccoli head which was beginning to change colour and the mushrooms which were going soft. So I fried an onion in some olive oil and added the broccoli and mushrooms. I added a small packet of pancetta cubes and some herbs. Just as I was setting up the quiche, I remembered an open packet of blue cheese that was going bluer every day so i decided it would work perfectly with the broccoli. So I crumbled that in it as well. Voila’! A cosy dinner was served on a day when I didnt feel like cooking!
Broccoli Mushroom Quiche
- Ready made quiche pastry (or make your own)
- 1.5-2 cups Broccoli, finely chopped
- 1.5 cups Mushrooms, chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 75g smoked pancetta cubes
- 50g Blue cheese, crumbled
- 5 eggs, beaten
- Some ricotta or cream
- Spread the pastry on a round 25cm (10inch) dish
- Blind bake* for a few minutes while you prepare the filling
- Fry onion in a little olive oil
- Add broccoli and pancetta to frying pan
- Add mushrooms and season with salt, pepper and Italian herbs
- Bring pastry out and spread the crumbled cheese at the bottom
- Add the cooked ingredients and spread them out
- Add some ricotta or cream to the beaten eggs and pour it out into the quiche.
- Top with grated Parmesan or cheddar if desired
- Cook for 30 minutes in a preheated oven at 180-200 degrees C
*Prick base with a fork in about 5 places. Place a sheet of baking paper over it and put some rice or beads over it to hold it down. Bake in preheated oven covered in this way for about 5-10 minutes to cook the pastry without browning. This will also prevent the bottom from becoming soggy.